Landlords Gas Certificates

As a landlord, by law the gas supply and all gas appliances within a tenanted property must have an annual inspection. Landlords gas certificates (CP12) must be carried out by a gas safe registered engineer. Please check this by going on the following website and typing in the engineer’s gas safety number.

The safety of your tenants falls on you as a landlord. The duties of landlords are explained in the Gas Safety (Installations and Use) Regulations 1998. These are to ensure that the gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for the use by tenants are safe. This is inspected when landlords gas certificates (CP12) are completed.

It is also important to note that a new boiler installation will also require landlords gas certificates (CP12).

As well as being a legal requirement, landlords gas certificates (CP12) ensure that the gas appliance are working correctly, safe and have no carbon monoxide leaks.

As a landlord you must adhere to the regulations. Failure to do so may lead to prosecution and/ or imprisonment with fines up to £25,000.

What your tenanted property should have:

• Safe, well maintained gas installations and appliances
• Current landlords gas certificates (CP12)
• A record of regular appliance servicing

As well as landlords gas certificates (CP12) landlords also have a duty of care towards their appliances to make sure they are regularly maintained and kept in good working order so a boiler service would be a wise move.

Please contact us on 020 3394 2168 or email us at to arrange to book in your landlords gas certificates (CP12) and/ or boiler services.